2022 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers Choose Speed
Let’s face it, guys. When you think of the old NFL gridiron days, one of the first thoughts that comes to mind is the Steel Curtain and the Pittsburgh Steelers. This legendary franchise is, and has been, a cornerstone of the NFL for generations. So it’s not entirely their fault that they tend to look ‘old school’ about them. What is their fault, however, is their lack of modern playmaking skill in their attack. The Steelers haven’t been known for being a prolific offense since their Antonio Brown/LeVeon Bell days, and before that, well, you get the picture. They average 20.2 points per game, according to teamrankings.com, and have only broken 30 points Once all of last season. Enter the most dynamic player in attack, Jameson Williams; a 6-foot-2, 189-pound nightmare for opposing defenses.
The Alabama standout drops in the draft due to his world-famous ACL injury. And after seeing Cooper Kupp, among other NFL players, achieve great success after tearing that ligament, teams should be less wary of high-end talent. A team like the Steelers should be one of those great organizations. Especially since they have, arguably, the worst receiving corps in the NFL. Here’s the current WR depth chart for Pittsburgh, according to ESPN.com:
- Deontae Johnson
- Cody White
- Chase Claypool
- Gunner Olszewski
- Rico Bussey
- steven sims
- Anthony Miller
If you thought the Philadelphia Eagles were lacking in talent in their sprawling reception hall, look no further than 3 hours west on I-80.
Jameson is one of the best road runners in this class and has the agility to win early. It will take over an at-will defense. Chase Claypool lined up as a “Z” wide receiver and in the slot, and Jameson is interchangeable in those positions as well. He caught 79 passes for 1,572 yards and 15 touchdowns last year for the Crimson Tide, you know. And, I may be in the minority here, but Mitch Trubisky is a significant improvement over the recently retired Big Ben. He can come out of the pocket and give the quick Williams enough time to shred any man’s cover. Pair this new passing offense with a solid running game led by Najee Harris, and you suddenly have the makings of a modern NFL offense! In Pittsburgh!
In conclusion, I know that Jameson Williams is still recovering from his injury and will realistically be fully back to full fitness in his 2nd year. But I feel like if the Steelers don’t rush him to the field (he shouldn’t see playing action until Week 10 at the earliest, IMO), they will have drafted the best receiver in this class.
Do you approve of this choice?
2022 BGN Mock Draft Ordinance
1) Jaguars (HellBentOnHurts): BY Aidan Hutchinson
2) Lions (friendly neighborhood Philly fan): DE Travon Walker
3) Texans (herbalonius): OT Evan Neal
4) Jets (RideHighTide): OT Ikem Ekwonu
5) Giants (Brendanekstrom): CB Ahmad Gardner
6) Panthers (Philliesandthebees): QB Kenny Pickett
7) Giants (Dr. MidnightGreen): DE Kayvon Thibodeaux
8) Falcons (Philly21): QB Malik Willis
9) Seahawks (mellow wellington) QB Matt Corral
10) Jets (tfrank9811): S Kyle Hamilton
11) Commanders (Negadelphia Norm): CB Derek Stingley Jr.
12) Vikings (Kephas): CB Trent McDuffie
13) Texans (Bdawk20 rules): WR Drake London
14) Ravens (ablesser88): DT Jordan Davis
15) Eagles (Fly like an eagle): WR Chris Olave
16) Saints (20Safety_Hazard): OT Charles Cross
17) Chargers (LBCeaglesFan!): DT Devonte Wyatt
18) Eagles (Phoenix X Minimus): CB Andrew Booth Jr.
19) Saints (Georgia_eagle): WR Garrett Wilson
20) Steelers (EagleDominion) WR Jameson Williams
21) Patriots (Dominate)
22) Packers (Leo Bedio)
23) Cardinals (Big DUB)
24) Cowboys (joey2arms)
25) Invoices (ItownBallers22)
26) Titans (BrianMcE03)
27) Buccaneers (4133Dave)
28) Packers (the player formerly known as Mousecop)
29) Heads (Green Grampa)
30) Chefs (Caption by Nick Foles)
31) Bengals (Thedeuce9)
32) Lions (Dtechman44)
Now is the time for you to vote for who YOU think should be selected next in the BGN Community Consensus Mock Draft 2022.
Who should the Steelers select at No. 20?
QB Desmond Rider
WR Treylon Burks
WR Drake London
C Tyler Linderbaum
OL Kenyon Green
OL Zion Johnson
51 voices in total
1) Jaguars: DE Aidan Hutchinson
2) Lions: DE Kayvon Thibodeaux
3) Texans: OT Evan Neal
4) Jets: OT Ikem Ekwonu
5) Giants: OT Charles Cross
6) Panthers: QB Malik Willis
7) Giants: CB Ahmad Gardner
8) Falcons: QB Kenny Pickett
9) Seahawks: S Kyle Hamilton
10) Jets: DE Travon Walker
11) Commanders: CB Derek Stingley Jr.
12) Vikings: CB Trent McDuffie
13) Texans: DE Jermaine Johnson
14) Ravens: DT Jordan Davis
15) Eagles: WR Jameson Williams
16) Saints: OT Trevor Penning
17) Loaders: DT Devonte Wyatt
18) Eagles: LB Devin Lloyd
19) Saints: WR Garrett Wilson